November 26, 2014

Night Sky QAL - hop and tips!

Today we're going to have a few more friends sharing their WIP. Last week I was amazed by the blocks and completed quilt tops from the blogger participants. The full list is bellow, please check out all the pics and more info about how they are making this quilt, their fabric choices, cutting and piecing process.

Today blog hop:

Melissa - Happy Quilting
Alyssa - Pile O'Fabric
Melanie - I Heart Stitching
Kim - Lily Patch Quilts

Last week we had:

Ruth - Ben's and Charly's Corner
Daniar Jolly Jabber (Fat Quarter Shop)
Sinta -  Pink Pincushion
Jane - Quilt Jane

These are some blocks I recently got finished. I'm now very used to the dark background, and I like it a lot, actually!


I also wanna share some wonderful tips that Hildy kindly sent me some weeks ago while she was cutting blocks for her Night Sky quilt also for a pillow she made using one of the big blocks from the pattern Night Sky by Camille Roskelley. If you're making this quilt you know we need to make flying geese for both small and big star blocks. I actually don't care much for the leftover (triangles) from the smaller units. But, for the big units the size of the triangles left is really something to consider. 

So, back to Hildy. She explains exactely how you should cut your units for the bigger blocks so you'll have minimum waiste of fabric (in case you don't have plans for the leftovers like I have. I'm putting them in a ziplog bag and I'm gonna make another project I'll share in the future.).

Here's what she said:

"Hi Jana, as promised here is the picture of the first three small stars I've made but I'm almost finished with my big stars. While sewing the big stars I've discovered a method to save some  fabrics and have accurate flying geese units. For the big stars cut 4  x 4 1/2" x 8 1/2" and 4 x 5" x 5" (cut these 1x diagonal). 

Draw two  45° lines from the opposite corners on the wrong side of the rectangle. Lay one triangle with the right side on the right side of  the rectangle and sew on the line. Press the triangle open and first trim the rectangle to the right size then the background under the trianle off. 



The good thing is that you can use the leftover background triangles for the smaller stars. The even better thing is that I send you a picture that hopefully explain the whole thing better than I did above ;-) But perhaps you wanna share this trick if so feel free!Oh, and a made a pillow with the Night Sky block as birthday gift for a friend and she loves it! Hope you like it (btw I made her a pillow with the Adorn block from the Simple Retro quilt-along last year you  can she it, too)".


Hildy's pillow 

I really hope you enjoy the tips! Thanks a lot Hildy! This post was linked to Freshly Pieced (Wip Wednesday)

To you all, HAPPY Thanksgiving!!!!

7 comments:

Terri Faust said...

Your dark background looks great on those stars! Can't wait to see it when it is finished. Very nice.

Jana Machado said...

Thank you Terri! I'm so looking forward to get it finished!

Preeti said...

The blocks of your Night Sky quilt continue to be as lovely and interesting as ever! Great tip for making accurate flying geese. Thanks for sharing :)

Hildy said...

Thanks for sharing my tip I hope it's useful! And I love your stars with the black background it makes the stars really pop!
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family:-)

Mareenchen said...

The blocks are lovely!

annieb said...

Beautiful work. Happy Thanksgiving to you too!!

Ruth said...

I'm loving the black fabric and dark backgrounds. Definitely thinking of how I could use more black next year!