September 10, 2014

Skirt

Hy everyone! I've told earlier that in celebration of the Sewing and Quilting National month I've accepted a challenge proposed by Fat Quarter Shop/ Jolly Jabber, that's making something I've never  made before. 

I can list a few things I've made in the past years. Some of them still are a little scary to me, but, at least I tried it a couple of times in my sewing/quilting career like applique (who is not a bit afraid of applique raise your hands!), curve rulers (made two blocks, well not enough to make the whole quilt I was planning...), English paper hexagons sewn by hand (not afraid anymore, not a bit!). 

I also used to make bags and run a small business for some years while living in Brazil. The bags were made not only with fabrics, but I used to mix all sort of materials like vinyl and even leather. A bit intimidating, isn't it? Well my list could go on and on. Oh boy, almost forgot! I've even made a dress for myself!



Well it seems I've faced a good list of scary little things in the sewing and quilting world... but, there is always something we end up avoiding. 

I've been afraid of sewing with elastics for a long, long time.  Recently my daughter asked if I could sew a skirt to her. It was time of stopping of being afraid of a little girl's request... (special thanks to Kimberly and team!) and I faced it! (I feel like a super hero that just raised the cape with hands and flew, hahaha)



I chose my favorite fabrics of the moment for the skirt. As you may know I LOVE Pat Bravo designs... so, those two prints were staring at me for quite a while waiting for a project. The skirt design is very simple so I decided to make a belt. I also sewed a white velvet ribbon along the joins of the tiers to give it a little something else.





Fabrics: Pure Elements Tender Green (Belt), Nouvelle Sapphire Femme Metale (bottom of the skirt) and Nouvelle Radiance Disty (top of the skirt) , all of them by Pat Bravo for Art Gallery Fabrics.  You can find the fabrics at Fat Quarter Shop.





Of course, the elastic not being my best friend decided to fold inside the waistband giving me some work to straighten it up, but I think it was my bad using a large elastic. 

Overall, I REALLY liked making this skirt and sewing with elastic (not calling it a enemy anymore, haha). I'm excited to try now pants for my little boy, with elastic on the waist, of course!

Check other friends met challenges all month long! Melanie of I heart Stitching will be also sharing her project and experience today! Here's the schedule for this week.

OH! Also don't miss out this week Giveaway! A fat quarter bundle of Far, far away fabric collection! Click here

September 8th, 2014
Anne Marie of Generation X Quilters
Melissa of Happy Quilting

September 9th, 2014
Barb and Mary of Me and My Sister Designs

September 10th, 2014
Melanie of I Heart Stitching
Jana of Jana Machado

September 11th, 2014
Sherri of A Quilting Life
Allison of Quilting Mumma

September 12th, 2014
Vickie of Spun Sugar Quilts

8 comments:

Yvonne @ Quilting Jetgirl said...

The skirt turned out so well, and what a beautiful model! :)

Jana Machado said...

Thank you Yvonne! The fabrics really made this simple skirt stands out!

Cathy said...

Love that skirt! So cute! And she's quite a cutie herself.

Jana Machado said...

Thank you Cathy! I'm really happy with how the skirt turned out!

Shauna said...

so cute, both the skirt and the model

Jana Machado said...

Thank you Shauna! I'm glad you stopped by!

Jenn @ A Quarter Inch from the Edge said...

Isn't it funny the techniques that give people a hard time? A quilty friend of mine is terrified of zippers and an elasti-phobia kept you from making such a cute skirt for a long time. So glad you found a way around it... it's a lovely little skirt. No doubt your daughter will want a closet full! :)

Sriya said...

Absolutely gorgeous Jana!! I love your work so much... ! Love and hugs to you Clarice and Benicio!