June 27, 2014

Two mini charm packs = two Bibs!

I'm always trying to figure out what to make with my mini charm packs. Last year I signed to be a member of the Moda Mini Charm Pack Club at Fat Quarter Shop. Then, I ended up collecting 48 minis!

With two mini charm packs (each with 42 2.5" squares) you can easily make two bibs like these two. I used a pattern from the book Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing for Baby: 24 Easy Projects for Newborns to Toddlers





So, here is how I made the bibs in some simple steps:

1- For each bib you need to sew seven rows with five squares each row. After that you sew all the rows making a patchwork. (35 squares sewn total)

2- Trace and cute the pattern on a paper, set it aside.

3- Cut the batting and the back for the bibs. It's easier to cut them as squares then quilt all the layers together same way you make a quilt. I quilted with straight lines, but you can quilt as desired.

4- Place  the pattern on the top of the "quilt". You can also trace the pattern on the top of the patchwork or you can pin the pattern (inside borders) and then cut following the outside borders of the pattern.

5- Bind the three layers, again, like you're making a mini quilt (but, with many curves on the way!) If you don't cut the stripes for the binding on diagonal you may have a wrinkled binding like I got on mine. If it does bother you (but if you don't like to cut stripes on diagonal to make the binding) you can buy those packed binding and get a more good looking binding on the bibs.  With no rush watch the curves carefully while placing the binding, go smoothly for best results!

6- Sew on the fasteners: one on the back of one of the edges, another one on the front of the another edge so they can close up.



Hope you can put in a good use your mini charms! I mixed two minis: Happy Go Lucky by Bonnie & Camille with Giggles from Me & My Sister Designs. I think they matched perfectly. With the remaining squares from both packs (14 squares total) I made a burp cloth. No waste at all!





BTW, missing blogging so much!!! But, busy, busy, busy with my newborn (plus a toddler :-) Well, happy to spend time with him and at the same time can't wait when I'll be sewing more often. I'm sure you do understand me!

Have a great weekend! 


4 comments:

Coffeebean's Dailies said...

Very sweet and fun bibs! Great job Jana!!

Jasmine said...

These bibs are adorable! Once they are washed a few times, you won't notice the binding as much.

Rob O'Neill said...

These are the loveliest bib ever! The fabric that you use is very nice. Congratulations because these bibs are really amazing and perfect!

Diana @ Red Delicious Life said...

Very cute bibs! And don't worry, the blogging world will be here whenever you have time. Enjoy your time with your newborn!