March 24, 2014

Annie's Choice Block - Wishes Quilt Along

Oh, Ok, I wish I had more than blocks to show... completed quilts would be awesome, right?! Let's be realistic though... actually I'm happy to have one more block from Wishes quilt along. At least I'm following the schedule, it'd be sad if I still had three blocks to make since we are in March! 

So, third month of the year, third block of the quilt along, this is awesome very good too! 


My impressions of this block (see the PDF pattern here):

1 - I cut the pieces in less than 25 min, could sew the units in less than 20 min. I was pretty confident I'd not spending more than one hour to make the block. Then...

2- I had a hard time matching points, specially when I was assembling the four units. The reasons probably are: since making my first block of this series I realized my background fabric (light blue) is stretching a lot. Well, it's a very cheap fabric from Joann. Love Joann but, I'm not using Country Classic cotton for piecing anymore. For backing... maybe (can't resist combining 50%Off coupon and getting it for half of the price ;-)

3- I gave up being so perfectionist and let some points  not matching. A couple of. That's fine... huuum, not really. Ok, then.
I'd love to know more about how you deal with imperfections...  feel free to tell about!


My block was linked up in WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced Blog by Lee (one of the authors of  the book Vintage Quilt Revival), in Needle and Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation blog written by the quilt designer Kelly also in Fabric Frenzy Friday hosted by Fort Worth Fabric Studio.

Fort Worth Fabric Studio Blog

9 comments:

Jessica said...

Cute block! I'm learning to live with my sewing imperfections (especially points that don't match). Otherwise, I'd never get anything done. :)

Jana Machado said...

You're right Jessica! We have to deal with some mistakes and imperfections...quilting is about that too! Sometimes moving on is the best choice!

valentinegirl said...

I'm doing this QAL too--I found that it was much easier to work with all the bias pieces if I starched first. I cut big chunks of my background pieces of fabric first and starched them heavily before cutting--same with the other fabrics.
This made cutting and piecing go a lot better for me. Also, you aren't that far into the QAL and if that background fabric is giving you fits--you could always turn that block into a pillow and just get new fabric to make a new block for the big quilt.

Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation said...

I think the block is fantastic! those little imperfections won't be noticed one bit when it's in a whole quilt. I always think we are our own worst critics!

Thanks so much for showing this off at Needle and Thread Thursday!

:) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

Jana Machado said...

Good tips Valentinegirl! Recently I started starching my blocks and it looks better. I'm gonna follow your advice and starch the pieces before sewing though!
I'd prefer doing this than starting again with a new fabric, but I agree it should work for some people too!
Thanks a lot for sharing!

Jana Machado said...

Thank you Kelly for stopping by and leaving your comment. You're right those imperfections won't be noticed in a quilt. I'm working on myself and trying to not be so perfectionist.
I'm following your blog with Bloglovin and it has been fun!

Fort Worth Fabric Studio said...

Your block turned out lovely! We are always are worst critic! After the quilt is all said and done, you wont even notice those tiny imperfections! :)

Thank you for linking up to Fabric Frenzy Friday!
-Lindsey
Fabric Frenzy Friday

Sandy W said...

the blocks look great, good and bad included!! we are so hard on ourselves! Once its together, quilted and washed you wont even see which points maybe off. It is going to be fantastic

Jana Machado said...

Hi Lindsey! Thanks for stopping by again! I really like your comments! I'm getting used with your visits! I really appreciate it!

Hi Sandy!
Thank you so much for stopping by and for the encouragement. I agree with you, you're definitely hard on ourselves!