February 25, 2014

Windmill block - Wishes quilt along

Oh these days have been fun and hard at the same time... just how the life is, right? The hard part: everyone still has a cold in this home (going to be 10 days or so). And it seems to be part of the routine. The fun part: I could see a bunch of friends last weekend, like a miracle I was strong enough to handle a lot of things (make food, clean the house, go up and down on the stairs many, uncountable times). As soon as the home was empty again, everyone including my daughter and hubby, even the dog ( it also sneezes sometimes) threw ourselves on the bed just hoping for better days...

So, I've finished this block when things were quiet here, but had my computer not cooperating at all to post it before. 


 This is the second block from Wishes Quilt Along. I did write down some observations while making this block.  First of all, it is like you're making four blocks, mini ones to get the big one, final size 14,5" inches. It took more time cutting and piecing than the first block of this series. If  I'm not wrong there are 24 pieces in each of the four mini blocks, total of 96 pieces to make one single block. If you ask me, I don't think I'll be making this block again, at least not in this size. However, would be fun making one of those mini blocks as a single block and larger!


Update: I just added Windmill block on Wip Wednesday at Freshly Pieced blog by Lee. I'm so excited to have one more opportunity to push myself weekly and show what I've been doing during the week.



And here some pics from about 10 days ago, before the cold and all the stuff I told on the top... some fun in the park, and some rare pics of myself during this pregnancy (32 weeks along).





4 comments:

Debby said...

Hi, Jana. I agree: I wouldn't want to make that Windmill block again IF I had to make it with so many pieces! It is possible to make it with two strips of fabric, then a few cuts and when you piece the cuts back together you get the same block, which is called the Goodluck Block. I would be happy to share it with you. It is one of the quilts in my second book, Supersize 'Em Quilts and a popular class that I teach. Send me an email and I'll show you how easy it is!

Lindsey said...

Hi Jana! Your windmill block turned out lovely! You did a great job on the piecing and I look forward to seeing the other blocks! :) Congrats on your pregnancy!

Would love for you to stop by and link this up to Fabric Frenzy Friday!
-Lindsey
Fabric Frenzy Friday

Jana Machado said...

Hi Debbie!
Thank you so much for stooping by my blog. I found your comment so nice with tips how to make the block in a easier way. I'd love to learn! Please, if you have the link on our blog, or if you could write down it and send to me I'd appreciate!
Wow! You're a writer! Congratulations on your new book and again thank you a lot for sharing your knowledge!
Have a wonderful week!

Jana Machado said...

Hi Lindsey! Thank you for stopping by my blog also for inviting me for the Fabric Frenzy Party! I'm looking forward to participate and link it on my blog!