June 06, 2013

Deck-ade the Halls by Fat Quarter Shop - Block 1

When I watched the video  with Kimberly and Jocelyn explaining how they did get to design this fabulous Christmas quilt I just fell in love. Fat quarter Shop is celebrating 10 years of their online shop "with 10 blocks and 10 fabrics".

Could you resist those gingerbread men on the top? Those mugs on the right to the bottom of the quilt? A few days later the first pattern was up also another video from Kimberly where she gives some tips on how to make the units to construct your three first blocks for this quilt, I mean the "Three Wise Gingerbread Men" blocks!


Visit the Fat Quarter Shop blog to get all the info you need to make a quilt exactly as this one  and upload the PDF files with instructions.
Here they are, my gingerbread men! Just a quick note of my choices of fabric for this blocks also for the entire quilt.  I went to my stash and found some fabrics very likely to be in a Christmas quilt like polka dots on red, green and blue also some solids.

I'm also a Mini Charm pack club member at Fat Quarter Shop and I just got "Aspen Frost" and "Esprit the Noel" by mail early in this week. So, I couldn't ask more to just starting making my first blocks.



I have a tip if you're making your gingerbread men blocks. I did press open all the seam allowances on the wrong side. It worked for me as the best way to avoid bulky on the wrong side, specially on the bowties and buttons (lots of tiny units). I also didn't want to make bowties and buttons with the same print. So, I mixed the prints up and I love the result.  And as you can see I still need to ad sashing between the blocks.





I'm so happy to know that my family and I will have a beautiful quilt laying down on our living room for this Christmas. I'm sure a lot of memories will just start to be built. Let me know if you are making this quilt too. I'd love to see.

Follow on Bloglovin

2 comments:

Nana Jane said...

This is so cute. I love Gingerbread Boys. Thanks for posting!

Jana Machado said...

Hi Nana! I truly appreciate your comment, thank you for stopping by!
Besides participating in the Christmas quilt along by Fat Quarter Shop,
I'm also hosting a quilt along through Camille Roskelley book Simply Retro.
Feel welcome to learn more here: http://janainamachado.blogspot.com/2013/06/get-ready-for-simply-retro-quilt-along.html
A lot of giveaways coming too!

Have a great weekend! (Ps: I sent you this email, but I realized later you are a no reply comment!